Monday, November 12, 2007

Help for the Anxiety Prone

I wrote this to a person seeking help for chronic anxiety disorder, and I thought, well, everyone panics at some point, I should post this. Maybe it'll help someone out there.



I have agoraphobia so I know right where you're at. I've done the psycho-treatments and they didn't help. I did the pills and hated them. I tried yoga and hurt myself. I learned that if I wanted to beat this, it was up to me, not some shrink telling me "write down your dreams" and crap.

First, look at what you can do to your environment to simply relax. Get some Native American flute music, play an Enya CD, cut out alcohol, cigarettes, coffee, and other stimulants and go to herbal teas, particularly mint and lavender. A detox diet honestly does wonders. And there are so many herbs out there that you can pick yourself, or if you're a city girl like me, you can buy them cheap. I've found lavender to take a load of stress off my day. It's cheap at Trader Joe's and other such stores, smells amazing, and tastes delicious. I have lavender bundles in the bathroom, lavender pillow spray for the bedroom, I love cooking lavender and lemon chicken, and I add lavender to my teas. Or find other aromas that soothe you. Maybe vanilla or sage or cedar, whatever works. I totally suggest lavender and mint tea every morning sweetened with honey. It'll help your stomach. We all know how stress screws your digestive system.

Next, take a moment each day for meditation. Not necessarily odd positions and "ohm" chants, but just sit in a comfortable chair or lay in bed and be quiet for a few minutes, whatever you can spare. Think of the one place you love to be, maybe the beach or mountains, somewhere peaceful. Visualization is a powerful tool in psychiatry. Really put yourself in that place, imagining it so vividly that you can feel the air and smell the breeze. Absolutely forbid yourself from thinking of stressful things.

Next, give yourself a mantra of peace. This is one I'm still working on for my anxiety issues. After you've done the soft music and herbs, if you still feel that horrible nervousness creeping in, tell yourself out loud so you hear the words: "I love to be at peace. I refuse to give into fear." Make up whatever you want, but make it a firm declaration, you are not going to let this anxiety get the best of you.

Doesn't work and still feel tense? I learned this from a stress management professor. If you feel the panic attack starting up, start at your toes and tense them, then relax. Then your calves, tensed, relaxed, then thighs, stomach, arms, chest, neck, face. Tense up for five seconds, then relax for five seconds. One, you're doing the counting thing. Two, you're forcing adrenalin into those muscles that are struggling with the fight-or-flight of the panic attack, and the release phase sends endorphins into your system which will relax your muscles. Three, you're paying attention to your whole body so you will not hyperventilate. Four, you are consciously telling your body "stop, deal with this, tense up if you must, but then relax." I learned about this five years ago and it works wonders. Also works great just before bed if you can't sleep.

No comments: