Thursday, April 09, 2009

Eye Color

I was looking up on eye color. Whenever I fill out official forms and they ask for "eye color," I usually put either blue or hazel, depending on my mood. Once, someone looked and said, "You don't have any brown in your eyes, so they can't be hazel." My reply: "Today I don't. Tomorrow I might."

My eyes are just weird. Many people with hazel eyes claim they change color, whereas really it's just certain colors are "brought out" by other factors: clothing color, sunlight, etc. Hazel eyes have green, gray, and brown, so different colors can be highlighted.

I've compared photos of my eyes. They really do change color. Not just a little. I mean A LOT.

The first time anyone really notice my "chameleon eyes" was on my sister's wedding. I was a bridesmaid, and the dress was bright emerald green. As we were getting ready, my mom stopped me, stared at my face, and went, "Robyn, you're eyes are GREEN." I looked in the mirror. My eyes were totally emerald, no blue at all. This wasn't "bringing out" some specks of green already present. My eyes were never that color before in my life.

Another day, I was wearing a red dress. The friends I was with didn't really know me well enough to notice anything, but they kept staring. I finally had to ask (fearing I had something stuck in my teeth). They said my eyes were purple. I laughed. Was I suddenly some weird anime character? Then I went to the bathroom, and sure enough, my eyes had turned a brownish shade of lavender. It was actually a little disturbing. I wish I could find the picture of that day.

Lately, my eyes have turned steely gray, nearly silver, and even some amber flecks pop up once in a while. One picture I have of me wearing a burgundy dress, my eyes honestly look brown.

I'm not the only one in my family with odd eyes. I have an aunt whose eyes change color depending on her mood. If they go green... watch out!

Perhaps I can blame genetics. My father has blue eyes. My mother has dark brown. Her father had blue eyes, her mother brown. Of my siblings, three have dark brown eyes, one has hazel which are usually more greenish, and I have the freaky blue eyes that will change at a moment's notice. Blue, gray, emerald, lavender, amber, you name it.

In the research I've done, eyes are not supposed to do that, not suddenly, at least. Eye color can change around puberty, like from blue to hazel, but not after wearing something for a few hours.

Maybe I should wear a rainbow tie-dye and see what happens.

No comments: