Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Rock the Angels, Trumpet Man


Rock the angels, trumpet man!

Maynard Ferguson
(May 4, 1928 - August 23, 2006)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My first exposure to Maynard Ferguson was high school jazz band. We played Birdland, MacArthur Park, Chameleon, Gospel John, and others. Mr. Pergola played for us his Maynard records. Our trumpeters' eyes just bugged! The rest of us were left in serious awe. Since then, that screaming trumpet has tickled my ears and boggled my mind, but always made me smile with teenage memories.

My band director, Mike Pergola, passed away last year, and to lose such a mentor and a music legend so close together is sad. The world has lost a beautiful voice, but I know future musicians will hear Maynard Ferguson and be in awe just as I was when Mr. Pergola opened my mind to a new stratosphere of sound.

1 comment:

san clemente betty said...

Thanks for the wonderful words about my dear brother, I so remember him and how much he loved Maynard Ferguson. . .Wish he was here so we could listen some more! Glad that he had such an impact on you!