Monday, November 07, 2011

One Week In

One week in, and I'm starting to hate my story. This is probably a record. Sometimes I grow to hate it around Day 15, but no... I started to hate this story at about Day 3, and as I sit here drinking hot cocoa and rum, medicating my chronic insomnia the bad way, I'm staring at Chapter 4 and realizing... I simply do not like my story.

Perhaps it's because I have another story I put on hiatus in order to do Nanowrimo. I'm tempted to work on that story as a "dream sequence" of this story. Or maybe my MC sits down to watch TV, and this "show" comes on. I don't know, but I can't just put that other story out of my head. I tied it up at a neat little spot so I could focus all attention onto Nanowrimo, but now... I just can't focus.

The fact that I'll be leaving to California in two weeks and staying there until December means I need to put even more effort into these first couple weeks. I should be at least around 35k before leaving Portland, because I know I'll have almost no time to write while I'm gone. This is turning out to be the hardest Nanowrimo since my very first attempt. I don't want to break my 5-year winning streak, but this apathy is draining all my creativity like a... like a... hell, I can't even think up of a good simile.

So... any suggestions? How can I fall back in love with my characters? What tricks are there to revitalizing my enthusiasm for my plot? Besides chocolate and rum, which obviously aren't working, what other sacrifices to the Muses should I offer? And am I cheating if I make a "dream sequence" so I can work on another project without sacrificing my precious free time?

No comments: