Monday, April 16, 2012

Denture Adventure Part 10

I skipped Sunday, simply because I wanted to end on a round number.

I went to the dentist. She was impressed that my gums have healed up so fast. for only 11 days after having 13 teeth removed, she said she's never seen someone heal so fast. She adjusted the dentures where I said they hurt worst, over the canker sore and where they did the frenulectomy. I think she shaved down the front part too much. If I grin big, you can see the divot. However, it feels so much better now. Just a little adjustment was all I needed. I asked about it stretching my upper lip too much, but that's something her office can't adjust. Basically, I have to put up with feeling like I have "monkey mouth" until the 6 month realignment. By then, my gums should have shrunk enough so that the dentures can be narrowed and the gums thinned down.

She also gave me Poligrip to hold it in place. These dentures fit so tight, I don't think I need it. When I took them out tonight, I discovered that denture adhesive is a really gross thing. Despite vigorous brushing, the goop did not want to leave my mouth. I had to scrape it off with my fingernail, something I don't want to do again until my mouth fully heals. I've also come to realize that the massive bloodclot that I thought was on the underside of my denture the first time I removed it was likely actually denture bonding goop...mixed with blood...really nasty just remembering what that looked like.

I bought some ointment for canker sores. I had to watch out that it did not have the killer benzocaine in it, but I found a good herbal brand. So hopefully that will help. I plan to show up to band tomorrow. I tried to play just a little. Obviously I won't be able to just pick up the trombone and play the blues, but it wasn't as horrendous as I feared. My low range is fine, the upper range is surprisingly good (I think because my upper lip is stretched) but the mid-range is really unstable. The pain in the front of my lip will be the biggest hurdle.

I may write one more "Denture Adventure" after a month or so. For now, eating soft food and just healing is all I need.

No comments: