Sunday, April 08, 2012

Denture Adventure, Part 3

It's Easter and the 3rd day since my teeth were Raptured and I had a denture put in their place. We ran out of soy milk so I didn't get my Slim Fast shake. We're also out of yogurt. Apparently my husband was eating up the yogurt and puddings that were meant for me. Hopefully he does some shopping tomorrow, since everything closed early for the holiday.

The roof of my mouth began to itch so annoyingly, I finally had to pull the denture out. It wasn't quite 72 hours, but the itch was driving me nuts. It was a challenge to remove the first time. The fit was so tight, it simply did not want to come out. I had to rock the denture a bit before it loosened up. I scraped off the denture adhesive the oral surgeon applied and gave my new "teeth" a light brushing to get the dried blood away. I also brushed the roof of my mouth to get the denture goop off, plus some dried blood clots.

When I put the denture back in, it fit surprisingly well even without adhesive. However, the stitches from the frenulectomy didn't feel right with the denture in the way. I found myself taking the teeth out many times, lightly swishing with water (not enough to loosen the blood clots, just enough to get the extra blood away) and trying to fit the denture in ways to adjust around the stitches. It wasn't really successful; they still hurt. Now my mouth has swollen so much, it feels like it's squeezing the dentures and might crack them.

I also have a bruise forming on the right side of my cheek, likely from the two bottom teeth that were pulled. I read that this is normal.

The pain medication is starting to mess with my stomach. Despite making certain I have a bowl of cream of wheat before taking the Vicodin, my stomach has begun to hurt really bad. Pepito-Bismol did nothing. I decided to try bread and butter, tearing the bread up into tiny pieces I could just swallow, since chewing is still impossible. It helped some, but not much. I would say the pain in my stomach is worse than the pain in my mouth... and that's saying something!

Over all, probably the worst Easter of my life.

No comments: