Monday, April 09, 2012

Denture Adventure, Part 4

Day 4:

Still waking up running to the bathroom to spit out blood. Lately, I've kept a cup by my bed so I can spit up in the middle of the night.

I took my dentures out for a few hours. I read that after the first 72 hours, a person should let their gum tissue rest for at least 6 hours a day. However, when I put the denture back in, the fit was less than ideal. Perhaps due to the frenulectomy, the area in between where my front teeth were swelled up, the denture was painful on the back of the gum.

I also noticed that I've formed a mouth ulcer where the left canine used to be. I had an abscess in that area, so I can't tell if that was where the abscess used to be and that's why the gum is sore, or if it's due to a bad fit. I do recall that when the oral surgeon first inserted the denture, that was the area that hurt worst of all.

I'm no longer wearing gauze for the bottom extraction areas, but when I wasn't wearing the denture I noticed I'm still bleeding at the top. I'm swishing lightly with salt water hoping that will help heal the area. If bleeding continues, I'll try the teabag method. I have plenty of those around.

One good progress today was eating raviolis with meatballs. They were the canned variety, the meat was soft enough to break apart by smashing it with my tongue to the roof of my top denture, so very little chewing was involved. I needed to eat something more substantial since the pain medicine is still wrecking havoc with my stomach.

I'll try to sleep without gauze tonight. Hopefully I don't choke on blood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later. Many thanks

Look at my web page; hotmail account